Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Passing of a True Martial Artist & Gentleman, Erle Montaigue

My friend, Taiji teacher and advisor Erle Montaigue has sadly passed away on Wednesday January 26th 2011.

Erle was a wonderful man in every sense of the word. He brought Taiji kicking and screaming into a new light with his emphasis on the life protection aspects of his art. Whilst he was viewed by many as a controversial figure, I have never doubted his ability as a martial artist, teacher and good friend.

Aside from the many times that he made me feel humble about my own martial skills and it was he who introduced me some many years ago (1988) to the concept of Dim-Mak. I remember sitting in his house in Leura having a cup of tea and his completely welcoming attitude towards the student I had bought with me on that day to meet him. I am a member of his World Taiji Boxing Association and will miss his advice and unique up-front attitude greatly.



His death is a sad loss for the whole martial arts community as he was one of the truly greats. I will miss him.